Recently the East Bay Times published a commentary disparaging Road Diets. Below is a link a reply to the commentary, put together by 3 members of the VeloRaptors .
The VeloRaptors have hatched a subgroup of golfers. This group (termed the HackoRaptors by Kevin M.) had a great day of golf at Chardonnay in Napa, playing in the Orion Fund Charity Tournament. This tournament was founded by our own Pam H. and supports college students that are in a health crisis. The group pic shows our trophy, and bottles of wine awarded to us for having the most fun! Randy and Steve were named co-captains, for no particular reason.
The 15th annual BORP Revolution ride was held Oct 23 at Trentadue Winery near Geyeserville. This year the VeloRaptor team had 8 riders, most of whom did the metric century. The weather was clear and not too hot, and the Sonoma County wine country was beautiful, as always.
TEAM VELORAPTORS BIKE WASH & BBQ – JUNE 3
Keeping the VeloRaptors annual summer party and BORP Revolution Bike Wash party going, once again Steve G., Steve B. and Randy are assuming the lead role for staging our fantastic annual VeloRaptors B.O.R.P Revolution fundraiser. And yes, now many of us will have been riding a lot, so it’s time to celebrate, spend time with other club members and get your bikes cleaned at the TEAM VELORAPTORS BIKEWASH. Our team of volunteers is getting ready to wash your bike; again this year’s “lead washers” Dennis C, Randy M., and Kevin M. will make your bike sparkle and your chain drive hum for a mere $25 donation to the BORP fundraiser! Any other members that would like to help with the bike wash let Randy know. This is a great opportunity for all you Velos to get your drive train cleaned and lubed.
Donations for food and drink are an additional $25: the main course along with wine/beer that you will enjoy is well worth the money, and remember we are raising money for a great cause!
…the particulars are:
When: Saturday, June 3, 2017
Bike Wash: 2:00pm – 4:30pm
BBQ: 5:00pm `til not-too-terribly-late
Where: Randy and Christina’s House
A few things you might want to know:
• We’ll have beer, wine, and other beverages. We’ll also have assorted Kabobs (Beef, Chicken & Shrimp) and munchies. Bring a side dish, dessert or appetizer you want to share. So that I can get an idea on the amount of food & beverages, please RSVP to the invitation you will soon receive.
• The more the merrier – spouses, families, and friends welcome.
• Come early if you want your bike washed…there will be a line…
• Dennis and Kevin will be helping Steve B. and Randy wash and clean your bikes. Any other volunteers are appreciated.
• Steve and Randy will be recruiting members to ride the Revolution on Saturday, September 24, 2017. We had 13 riders last year and it would be nice to increase our number of riders for 2017. So, let’s have a great time joining other riders at a wonderful venue (Trentadue Winery). Registration will open in a few weeks.
To learn more about the BORP Revolution go online, or ask while at the BIKEWASH –BBQ, or call Randy/Steve.
By the way, last year was the fifth consecutive year our club riders raised over $14,000 plus for BORP,\! Congratulations to all the VeloRaptors who helped. Let’s beat this amount and increase our number of riders for the 2017 ride!!
- January – The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- February – War and Turpentine by Stefan Hertmans
- March – The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
- April – LaRose by Louise Erdrich
- May – On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder
Tuesday, May 2, 6 VeloRaptors took the fabulous ride on the Bay Bridge bike path out to the opening ceremony for the Vista Point rest stop on Yerba Buena Island.
At the start of the trip we got a look at the newly renovated ‘event center’ (a converted maintenance bldg)
and then were treated to a nice lunch at Vista Point – after a few speeches.
We even got a picture with Mayor Schaff!
Overall, this rest-stop is a great addition to the trail, complete with rest rooms and a water station!
Twelve VeloRaptors took a beautiful ride from Vacaville to Lake Berryessa to view the Glory Hole. It was a beautiful ride up Pleasants Valley Road, then out Route 128 to the dam. Temperature was mild, and we had lots of sun, and a fine lunch at Steady Eddie’s in Winters. Basically, it was 44 miles of bliss.
Recent Prize Winning Poem from Larry D.
I Married a Cro-Magnon Woman
Even though you wear petite,
I should have known.
The way you hold your head,
the focused movement,
thrift in speech —
All were clues.
When you muscled the case of wine
into the trunk while
I was calling, “Wait! Wait!”
When you dug up the whole garden
with a rusty shovel.
When you dragged the garbage bins
up the driveway two by two —
I realized that twins would be no problem.
You’d suckle one at each breast
while chewing leather to downy softness
for me to wear on winter hunts.
You’d make our autumn fire,
spinning one stick on another.
You’d keep it going throughout the winter
to cozy up our share of cave.
You’d heat up water with hot rocks
and use the waiting time
to ply your awl for boots.
You’d swat the kids and laugh.
You’d be ever looking out
for fat and protein. And so in spring
you’d heft a load, and off we’d walk
to where the fish were running.
I’d use up secret hours
to make a necklace from
a thousand shells I’d found
and managed to hide from you.