VeloRaptors have participated in the BORP Revolution ride for the last many years. This year we had a team of 13 riders, and raised over $18,000 for BORP. Steve Blair put together a brief video:
The VeloRaptor annual meeting was held June 3 at Sibley, and was well attended! Lots of riders toiled up Tunnel Road from Montclair, escorted from behind by Chris S. (who drove as she had to leave early). Two Steve’s went off the board and Kathy and Charlie were added.
Incredibly, all three of our jerseys appeared. On the right, Kevin has his keepsake original ‘VeloRaptors/Royal Grounds Cyclists’ jersey (a very rare item). On the left, Rick has the second generation jersey. Smiling in the center, Kathy brings us up to date with the latest version!
VeloRaptors looking good – Russ leads our pack, and he looks the part, with his new bike and matching outfit. Here he is on a recent Sunday ride!
Always a good idea to stop at stop signs, especially if it is a New STOP sign. Found this one along the Carquinez Scenic Byway on a recent 4th Saturday Ride.
A few of us attended the Bike East Bay Pig Roast fund raiser and ‘goodby’ to Rene Rivera, BEB director who is leaving. Not shown are Howard and Steve G. who also enjoyed the festivities. https://bikeeastbay.org/
The hills are green and riding in Marin is fabulous right now. Here is Fred, rolling through a meadow on Chileno Valley Rd. We also saw some bovine action along Hwy 1 between Tomales and Pt. Reyes Station.
Finally, we had a Wednesday Outlier ride in Livermore in mid-April. Here is a pic from the top of Tesla Rd. Post ride lunch at Garre’ Winery was fabulous.
Recently the East Bay Times published a commentary disparaging Road Diets. Below is a link a reply to the commentary, put together by 3 members of the VeloRaptors .
The VeloRaptors have hatched a subgroup of golfers. This group (termed the HackoRaptors by Kevin M.) had a great day of golf at Chardonnay in Napa, playing in the Orion Fund Charity Tournament. This tournament was founded by our own Pam H. and supports college students that are in a health crisis. The group pic shows our trophy, and bottles of wine awarded to us for having the most fun! Randy and Steve were named co-captains, for no particular reason.
The 15th annual BORP Revolution ride was held Oct 23 at Trentadue Winery near Geyeserville. This year the VeloRaptor team had 8 riders, most of whom did the metric century. The weather was clear and not too hot, and the Sonoma County wine country was beautiful, as always.
TEAM VELORAPTORS BIKE WASH & BBQ – JUNE 3
Keeping the VeloRaptors annual summer party and BORP Revolution Bike Wash party going, once again Steve G., Steve B. and Randy are assuming the lead role for staging our fantastic annual VeloRaptors B.O.R.P Revolution fundraiser. And yes, now many of us will have been riding a lot, so it’s time to celebrate, spend time with other club members and get your bikes cleaned at the TEAM VELORAPTORS BIKEWASH. Our team of volunteers is getting ready to wash your bike; again this year’s “lead washers” Dennis C, Randy M., and Kevin M. will make your bike sparkle and your chain drive hum for a mere $25 donation to the BORP fundraiser! Any other members that would like to help with the bike wash let Randy know. This is a great opportunity for all you Velos to get your drive train cleaned and lubed.
Donations for food and drink are an additional $25: the main course along with wine/beer that you will enjoy is well worth the money, and remember we are raising money for a great cause!
…the particulars are:
When: Saturday, June 3, 2017
Bike Wash: 2:00pm – 4:30pm
BBQ: 5:00pm `til not-too-terribly-late
Where: Randy and Christina’s House
A few things you might want to know:
• We’ll have beer, wine, and other beverages. We’ll also have assorted Kabobs (Beef, Chicken & Shrimp) and munchies. Bring a side dish, dessert or appetizer you want to share. So that I can get an idea on the amount of food & beverages, please RSVP to the invitation you will soon receive.
• The more the merrier – spouses, families, and friends welcome.
• Come early if you want your bike washed…there will be a line…
• Dennis and Kevin will be helping Steve B. and Randy wash and clean your bikes. Any other volunteers are appreciated.
• Steve and Randy will be recruiting members to ride the Revolution on Saturday, September 24, 2017. We had 13 riders last year and it would be nice to increase our number of riders for 2017. So, let’s have a great time joining other riders at a wonderful venue (Trentadue Winery). Registration will open in a few weeks.
To learn more about the BORP Revolution go online, or ask while at the BIKEWASH –BBQ, or call Randy/Steve.
By the way, last year was the fifth consecutive year our club riders raised over $14,000 plus for BORP,\! Congratulations to all the VeloRaptors who helped. Let’s beat this amount and increase our number of riders for the 2017 ride!!
- January – The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- February – War and Turpentine by Stefan Hertmans
- March – The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
- April – LaRose by Louise Erdrich
- May – On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder